Last week we visited Leith’s in west London, to sample some of the delights that Leith’s have selected from the ASDA range as their top hits for Christma in the “Extra Special” range.. It’s an interesting partnership, as I think we have some ideas in our minds about which supermarkets are more ‘foodie’ than others – I certainly did. However most of us nowadays are looking for both certain standards of ingredients and value for money so this arrangement looks promising. Leith’s were frank about their unwillingness to compromise on quality and it’s going to be interesting to see what these two ostensibly different animals will come up as the relationship develops over the next eighteen months.
We prepared a three course meal using combinations of the products from the range and lots of help from the lovely Leith’s staff. Our display went a bit awry when it became clear we’d sampled some of the honey and mustard baked sausages (but we were huuuuuuungry!) Lesson learned: next time eat three of the dozen in the pack and leave a nice presentable nine.
They still tasted good. We made fast cheaty canapés using some of the ingredients in the range, such as goats’ cheese and walnut topped crostini, drizzled with yet more honey, and peppered smoked salmon flaked into cream cheese and loaded up with horseradish. Main course was beautifully cooked venison which, heretical as it would be to my family, I could see as an alternative main course for the 25th. Not in my house, but I understand some people aren’t fans of turkey?!
And just in time for the big day, ASDA and Leith’s are offering one lucky winner a huge hamper full of Extra Special Goodies. The long list includes:
Christmas pudding, All-Butter Mini mince pies, Hazelnut & Fruit Stollen, Yule Log, Roast Pork and Crackling Hand Cooked Crisps (beware, these are more addictive than crack), Forest Fruit Butter Crumbles, Applewood Smoked Cheddar and winter chutney Hand Cooked Crisps, Fairtrade Columbian Roast and Ground Coffee, Artisan Biscuits for Cheese, Florentines, Black olive Breadsticks, Continental Delicacies, Gruyere and poppy seed twists, All butter Sundried Tomato and cheese Crumbles, Cava, Cranberry Sauce, Caramelised Onion Chutney, and to top it all off, a jar of Goosefat!
How to enter:
Leave a comment on this post or on the OMG Facebook page, answering this question:
Q: What will you be eating on Christmas Day?
Edited to add: The winner of this competition is J. Kelly, who commented on Facebook: “Chicken!! We have chicken & topside beef. I don’t mind turkey, but for the price I would have to LOVE it :) So, we have chicken, beef, two kinds of gravy. All the trimming, 100’s of Yorkshire puddings (home-made of course) & my absolute favourite… Pigs in Blankets. Asda’s are the very best!!”
Congrats to you!
Terms and Conditions:
- This giveaway is open to all readers over 18 who live in the UK.
- The competition opens at 13:30 on 6 December 2011 and closes at 23:59 on 14 December 2011.
- There are two ways to enter – by answering the posed question on this page or on the OMG Facebook page. You may enter using each method once, for a total of two entries per person.
- The winner will be chosen via a random number generator.
- The winner will be contacted by e-mail, if they do not respond within 3 days another winner may be chosen.
- There is one prize of a hamper of ASDA Extra Special products, as listed though the promoter reserves the right to make substitutions if necessary.
- This competition is being run in good faith on behalf of ASDA, who will be responsible for sending the prize to the winner. Their decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. They reserve the right to substitute the prize for one of a similar type / value if the prize above is not available.
- Instructions form part of the terms and conditions and by entering you’re agreeing to participate under these terms and conditions.
- Entries using any software or automated process to make bulk entries will be disqualified.