I’m very proud to have a recipe in the new Green & Black’s book. Micah asked me a couple of times for a contribution and I pretended not to hear him as I had absolutely no idea what to make. Eventually I caved and asked was there anything he was missing and after thinking for a couple of minutes, replied “Give me a muffin recipe”.
It was only afterward that I discovered that he’s not exactly a huge fan of the muffin, as describes in the intro to this recipe in the book – though he understands that others feel differently. I tried a number of variations which I presented to him, and the one below was my absolute favourite, they’re light and moist.
Banana Butterscotch Muffins
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 175 g caster sugar
- 150g butterscotch chocolate or Mini Daim bars, chopped
- 250ml whole milk
- 90ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium, black-ripe banana
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200.
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Mix the wet ingredients together (I classify banana as ‘wet’).
- Combine but don’t overmix. Line a twelve space muffin tin with paper cases, and divide the mixture between them.
- Cook for 20 minutes.